Tuesday 27 May 2014

What REALLY happened at Macaulay Culkin's Pizza Underground gig

A delicious "These Days" cover
from my Instagram
This weekend the Pizza Underground swept across the nation as part of Dot to Dot festival with their own special brand of novelty Velvet Underground pizza themed covers. I have since read a lot of media coverage which seems to be constructed from hearsay and tweets from people who said they were there (BBC, Manchester Evening News and The Mirror  online and The Independent paper used a tweet of mine which I put up the morning after) These guys are now topic of the current most read article on the BBC website, but I'm yet to see any media coverage from journalists who actually went. So I'm going to shed some light on the situation and let you know what actually happened at the Manchester gig.
My quote in the Independent 8-)
MYTH#1 - MACAULAY STORMED OFF - nah he didn't. I was really surprised to see how laid back and funny he was, he told some hilarious jokes, including my personal favourite "What's the difference between a pepperoni pizza and a boner? I haven't got a pepperoni pizza right now."  During the last song a couple dived on him and after being broken apart by a bouncer,  he quickly said bye to the audience and was promptly ushered off. The rest of the band followed after and it was the most abrupt end to a gig I've ever seen. The only negativity the audience received for their awful behaviour was from the bands "Nico" personality who said something along the lines of most of us were awesome, some of us were ass holes and I think she called us wankers at some point too, but that was fair as she seemed to be getting most of the beer thrown over her.
MYTH#2 - BAD VIBEZ - everyone seemed to be enjoying it except the pricks who were throwing shit. I was in hysterical giggles all the way through, I would say it was generally a weird, surreal but enjoyable experience. But every review I've read has had a fairly negative tone, focusing on how bad the band were (what the fuck were you expecting srsly)
MYTH#3 - GLASS THROWING - I saw about 4 or 5 drinks fly through the air during their 40 minute performance. 2 were definitely glass (which was foolish of Zoo to be serving drinks in glasses in hindsight) one smashed off the ceiling and rained shards and booze all over, another smashed against the back of the stage. These knobbish actions were met with boos from the crowd who wanted to have a good time, but not directed at the band at all. At no point were the band booed in Manchester. And I'd query just how bad it was in Nottingham too, there was no reports of shit going down at Bristol either. I guess you don't know unless you were there for sure.

1 comment:

  1. Typical media twisting things............. theyve postponed the rest of their shows now. was relly looing forward to seeing them tomoz

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...